Tuesday 29 September 2015

'I am not threatened by my wife's success' - Tendai Manatsa


WITH his wife Selmor Mtukudzi on a girl power crusade that has seen her grow in stature on the African continent, Tendai Manatsa believes that a woman’s success should not pose a threat to any man.

Selmor’s exploits and strong empowerment stance has seen her getting embraced around the continent, which has seen her feature in the Strong Girl song and its remix which featured U2 front-man Bono.

The Afro-jazz artiste married Tendai Manatsa, the son of fellow legendary musician Zexie Manasta in 2007 in a union of Zimbabwean music royalty. 

In an interview with One Campaign, the Bono founded organisation behind the Strong Girl song and the Poverty is Sexist campaign, the musician said he embraced his wife’s success and fighting spirit.

“Firstly, I let Selmor participate in this campaign because I’m confident of myself as a man. I’m not threatened by my wife’s success and actually I’m proud of her. 

Secondly, as a father of a girl child, I believe in the empowerment of girls and women. I don’t want my daughter to be denied opportunities because of her gender,” he said.

The musician also added that his mother had struggled to feed the family when his father was involved in an accident that left him with a memory loss.“When I was young, my father was involved in an accident that left him in a coma for three weeks and when he woke up he had amnesia. All of asudden our mother found herself with six boys to feed, educate, and shelter,” he said.

He said that this is what had taught him the importance of an empowered spouse.“Unfortunately she wasn’t employed so we went through a really tough time. 

My father believed that my mother did not have to work since he was making enough money to take care of the family.

This taught me that you never know what the future holds; a man cannot
assume that he will always be there to take care of his family so there is no harm in having an empowered spouse,” he said.
Source-Bmetro

No comments:

Post a Comment