Sunday 1 November 2015

Cristiano Ronaldo Says He Believes He Is Better Than Lionel Messi

Ronaldo and Messi
Cristiano Ronaldo doesn't believe trophies have any impact in deciding who's the best player in the world, proclaiming he's better than Barcelona superstar and Ballon d'Or rival Lionel Messi.

Real Madrid's all-time leading goalscorer spoke to Spanish newspaper El Pais back in August, in an interview withheld until now to promote his upcoming documentary. Jesus Balseiro of AS translated his views on Messi's success:

It doesn’t bother me. If you look back over my past eight years, I’ve always been at the peak; and that is difficult. Name me someone else who has done it? After that, being No.1 or No.2 is a matter of small details, such as if you win trophies or not. 

Perhaps for you, Messi is the best; in my head, I am the best – and everyone should think that about ourselves. That is why I have been able to achieve so much in my career.

It was hard for me to watch Messi picking up several Ballon d’Ors. I’d be thinking: "Why should I go to the gala?"

It's well-founded that ego plays a large part in Ronaldo's appeal, and he would undoubtedly prefer if the football jury was unanimous in agreeing he's the best there's ever been—but that's far from being the case.

In fact, readers of Madrid-based newspaper Marca don't even think Ronaldo will make the top three in the race for this year's Ballon d'Or, with Barca trio Messi, Neymar and Luis Suarez tipped to dominate the podium.


No comments:

Post a Comment