Monday 11 January 2016

Mapfumo, Majongwe to share stage

Mapfumo, Majongwe to share stage

Labour activist and musician Raymond Majongwe, a self-confessed fan of Chimurenga music legend Thomas Mapfumo, will share the stage with the United States of America-based artiste in Leicester, United Kingdom on April 16, 2016.

The concert, being promoted by Vee Jay Entertainment, will also feature solo guitarist are Steve “Dhongi” Makoni.

Majongwe, who has often been slated for being a “copycat” of the 70-year-old music icon, is delighted to have finally landed the opportunity to share the stage with his idol at the event that has been dubbed “Chimurenga Bira Festival.”

“I am excited to share the stage with one of my icons in the music industry. It will be an event to shine and learn a thing or two from him and Makoni.

“I cannot wait for the historic Leicester concert which will be a memorable event in my career,” said Majongwe.

The Dhiziri PaChinhoyi singer claimed that he was so determined to perform alongside his idol that he even arranged a gig in neighbouring South Africa that however, failed to materialise.

“I have always been inspired by Mukanya’s music. This concert is going to show music fans that I go along with the veteran musician. In fact, we are more than brothers.

“A couple of years ago, I wrote a song urging Mukanya to return home and the song is called Viva Mukanya,” he told the Daily News.

Majongwe added that Zimbabwe and Africa at large need to accord respect to Mapfumo and his Chimurenga music.

“Beyond doubt, Mapfumo is the greatest Zimbabwean musician ever. Some of us got inspired by his sounds and lyrics earlier on and that is why we are not afraid. I have faced a lot of resistance and persecution for upholding the chimurenga music genre but that has not deterred me,” he said.

Majongwe, who is better known as secretary general of the Progressive Teachers Union of Zimbabwe, has produced more than 20 albums most of which are unknown to music fans.

“If you are a real Chimurenga artiste in Zimbabwe, you should expect to be sabotaged in terms of publicity on State-run media outlets and that is the case with me.

“Most of my albums are not known because the state broadcaster did not want to play my music until I devised a plan to release some albums under pseudonyms and interestingly the trick worked out for me and that is when some of my music began to be played on radio and I concluded that they hate my name not my music,” said Majongwe. Daily News


No comments:

Post a Comment