Monday 14 March 2016

'I am not ridding on my father's fame' - Selmor Mtukudzi

selmor
Selmor Mtukudzi
AFRO Jazz/Pop musician, Selmor Mtukudzi, daughter of super star, Oliver, has rubbished claims that she is clinging on to her maiden name in order to ride on her father’s popularity. She said she has learnt to stand on her own and work hard to be the brand she is today. 

“I’ve worked hard to make a name for myself in the music industry. I’ve won a lot of awards and hate to be compared to my father because that takes the glory from me and renders me a copycat. 

I’m a brand on my own and that’s why I compose my own music and never sing my father’s songs unless if fans request I do so,” she said.

 Claims that she is her riding on her iconic father’s popularity, she said, are coming from people who wish her ill. “I think such claims are emanating from people with a pull-her-down spirit, those who don’t want to see me making a steady progress in the music industry. 

Why can’t they appreciate my success in the music industry,” she said.

Her husband, Tendai Manatsa, said music is work and there is no problem with his wife using her maiden name. “I’ve no problem with my wife using her father’s surname because music is work and that helps to create an identity as a female musician. 

My parents are happy with that and her parents are also happy and that makes us happy too,” said Tendai.

Meanwhile, Selmor said she will soon launch her fifth album titled “I am a woman.” It features the hit single Zvidiki diki.

Source – The Chronicle

No comments:

Post a Comment