Monday 11 April 2016

'I will never quit music for football' - Peter Moyo

Peter Moyo
SUNGURA musician Peter Moyo is disturbed by reports that he is contemplating quitting music for football.

There have been reports, especially on social media that, Peter is on the brink of trading the mic for football boots, claims the entertainer described as pub talk.

In an interview with H-Metro on the sidelines of his performance at Legends Sports Diner in Marondera over the weekend, he said music now runs in his blood.

Besides, the Young Igwe said he has a legacy to preserve – his father’s Utakataka Express brand.

“I don’t understand all this talk. Why should I quit music for soccer? I will never do that, never, I won’t quit music for football,” vowed Peter Moyo.


“Yes, everyone knows that I was once a footballer but that is now a thing of the past. I am no longer a professional footballer; I will only be associated with football socially.

“I have a legacy to protect and I am now also a brand myself in Zim showbiz, so I will be also betraying myself. In fact that will be a great betrayal to Tongai and my fans at large, all the stakeholders (of arts) will be disappointed,” he said.

The news came after developments that some of the Utakataka Express senior members are in studio recording their own project.

“I don’t think this is new. You (H-Metro) ran the story last year and I even gave them (band members) my blessings and Utakataka Express is not even threatened,” boasted Peter Moyo.

Guitarists Willard ‘Willo’, Evidence ‘Baba Gari’ Taburuka, Savious Karukodzi and drummer Guyson Sixpence are considering parting ways with the Kwekwe-based outfit.

“I am aware those guys are in studio working on their project which is good for them. Their departure won’t affect my band at all. The same happened to my dad (Tongai), when these guys joined Utakataka pane vanga vatoenda who even recorded some of the greatest hits, they also came and recordd hits. Talk of Ronnie Mudindo and Musaope Nkoma.



“If they are to go, others will come and join the ship, and you never know those ones will make me the greatest musician,” said Peter Moyo.

The Mavanga singer said he would rather be left with management and go on to re-assemble the band from scratch, to keep the legacy alive.

“It happened to a number of artistes. I would be rather left with managers but what I know is that there are a number of talented instrumentalists out there.

“Macheso (Alick) met the same fate but he is there and is going strong. It happened to big musicians like Pastor Charles Charamba and Oliver Mtukudzi and because they were born leaders they are still going strong,” he said adding, “I need to set the issue straight, my fans are demanding answers about these issues and the answers are: I won’t quit music, never, and Utakataka will not collapse because someone has left.

“We are having shows every weekend, I am still with the guys (who are reported to be leaving) and they are still coming to shows.”

Peter for the first time played the lead guitar for the better part of his performance in Marondera while regular guitarist Willo was in the crowd and only played two songs.

Guyson and Karukodzi were also seen enjoying drinks in the crowd and never got to the stage.

Utakataka Express, arguably the best performing band, was at its best at this particular show which they shared the stage with Suluman Chimbetu.

He kept fans busy on the dance floor particularly females as chanter Shiga Shiga led them with the ‘bata pasi’ dance.

Peter said he is now waiting for the Big Five gig set for Alex Sports Club this Friday.

Source-H Metro

No comments:

Post a Comment