Thursday 25 June 2015

I respect Suluman — Tryson

Suluman (left) and Tryson Chimbetu being served at Paroots Restaurant

HARARE – Dendera singer Tryson Chimbetu says blood is thicker than water; hence there is no need for him to have any beef with his elder cousin Suluman.

The 26-year-old Tryson aka Dr Nero, who with wife Nyarai Mukumba were recently blessed with a son, Keane Naison Chimbetu said Suluman and himself have never had any serious misunderstandings as reported through the media and other forums.

“Blood is thicker than water and whether I and the world like it, Suluman is my brother. Mukoma mukoma and that will remain the truth. 

I respect him both as an elder brother and a musician who has contributed a lot to the advancement of dendera music.


“Instead of comparing us, fans should appreciate us for who we are as musicians because we are gifted in our different ways.

“There is babamudiki Allan and Douglas as well as many others who will come after us and fans should instead thank God for creating us with the musical talents we all possess as the Chimbetus.”

Tryson who reportedly has had run-ins with music promoters and Suluman’s camp said all that was in the past.

“It is all history now but some of those issues were blown out of proportion. It’s normal to have misunderstandings with promoters and I believe that’s what
defines the music landscape.”

As for his son named after his late father, Naison, Tryson said parenthood will have a great influence on his strategic thinking career-wise.

“Ndakura mudhara, this baby is an indication of the responsibilities that now await me and such a development calls for new thinking. It is about time I take my music to new levels and make a big claim on the local music scene. I have the talent; I feel it in my veins.”

In a wide ranging and exclusive interview with Daily News on Sunday, the silky-voiced musician said there are a lot of misconceptions about him and his music.

“But I believe it is about time I define who I am both as a musician and as a family man. In-between my work I have had time to reflect and re-strategise so fans should brace for a revived and revamped act.

“Dendera is a strong brand and I am taking a stand as Tryson and I hope to create a legacy future generations will live to revel in,” he said.

Tryson added that there are times he felt he wasn’t really striking the right cords.



“Not necessarily in terms of my act and compositions but the management and set up of my operations.

“I believe the new strategic direction I am taking will herald a new era in my career — one my fans and other music stakeholders will cherish. Being a parent in particular has had a positive influence on my thinking.”

“I have decided to take my music to all classes in Zimbabwe and perform live, hopefully to everyone’s satisfaction and even in upmarket venues where I had not had many platforms.”

Tryson has now enlisted the services of professionals and a reputable artiste management company that will help him navigate the music terrain.

The singer also spoke of his forthcoming album: “We are going to record this month-end and feedback from fans point to a scorcher of an album which will make waves in the industry. However, I will leave it to the fans to judge once we have released it.

“The album will feature songs like Chihera vhura door, Ndarota which is a tribute to the late Simon and Naison, Isa Moto, Mahobho and Joyce among others.

“But I am still to come up with the final selection before going into studio. I am really upbeat. Fans should look out for new, par excellence original dendera with remixes from the late Naison.”

The Chimbetu familiy are a talented lot and they have carved an indelible niche on the local music scene with their hugely popular dendera beat.

Over the years, dendera music has hogged the limelight with the torch bearers Simon and Naison Chimbetu, both late, boasting of a rich and highly-successful discography which today continues to mesmerise music fans.

This rich vein of fame has continued even with the current generation which is led by one of the surviving Chimbetu siblings Allan and his late brothers’ sons Suluman and Tryson as well as Allan’s own son, Douglas.

While debate continues to rage as to whom among the surviving Chimbetus is more talented, the fact remains that they are all gifted in their own different ways and this raging superiority jinx will be left for another day.

In a parting note Tryson revealed that he is embracing everyone in the music industry even perceived enemies.

“I believe professionalism should be the way to go and I call on fellow musicians, promoters and corporates to embrace and appreciate me for the musician that I am and I promise not to disappoint.

“It’s game on and fans should expect more of me in all corners of Zimbabwe, upmarket venues included especially this winter. We are taking dendera to Africa and the world”. Daily News


No comments:

Post a Comment